Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Music and Monologues

One of the most stressful things I can imagine out here is the theatre audition. The kid where you sing and say a monologue while in a room full of all of the other hopefuls.

MONOLOGUES
I have yet to find monologues that I love, it is quite sad actually.

So far the ones I have found are:

Play: Tomorrow's Wish
Character: Juniper
- A young women with a learning disability describes her first kiss.

I still need to read the full script, I probably should... But, anyway, this is one I really like. It is comedic while at the same time the fact that she thinks this way is not to be laughed at.

Movie: The Tenth Kingdom
Character: Virginia
- She describes how she responded to her mother leaving her when she was seven.

While I like this, the fact that it is from a movie kind of concerns me, I feel like monologues should be from the theater, but maybe that is just me.


So I have a modern comedic and dramatic monologue but am definitely searching for more.
I also need a classic monologue of each genre. I just read through One on One a book of monologues but nothing really called out to me, but I will look through it again.


MUSIC

I have "Poor Wandering One" under my belt from my run of Pirates of Penzance.

I began working on "Times Like This" from Lucky Stiff with my voice teacher, but I definitely don't have this at performance level yet.

I also think "In His Eyes" from Jekyll and Hyde would work well for my voice and so will start working on that.

Problem is Poor Wandering One and In His Eyes are both fairly soprano and so...
I need something for my alto range as well, something a little more belty.

As I said in the last post, I am currently reading Love's Labor's Lost by the Bard. I am hoping I may find something in their to use as a classic piece.

To Select Well Among Old Things, Is Almost Equal To Inventing New Ones
-Nicholas Charles Trublet

No comments:

Post a Comment